Thursday, May 01, 2008

everything's broken, everything's vacant, everything's wasted time* or, I've got a heck of a case of writer's block

Folks, I've got writer's block. In a big way. And not just in a bloggy way, in a general way. In such a general way that I haven't even sent any pithy, vaguely amusing emails to any of my Girlfriends (and in fact, I just sent an email that said, basically, "hey, I'm sleepy. how 'bout you?" That's NOT communication, that's...I don't know, pathetic or something.) I haven't answered emails from clients that need answering because I cannot eloquently wrap the words into some graceful way of saying, "sorry, but you're screwed" - (and really, no one wants to hear that...even from their lawyer...)

There's a judge on the other side of the state who had his clerk call me asking me to write a memo "fleshing out" the argument laid out in my motion for summary judgment. Which I am pretty sure means, "the judge is inclined to rule in your favor if you can come up with ONE MORE REASON why he should." And here I sit, staring at an empty Word document.

So, here's my random, stream-of-consciousness post that I am forcing myself to type out of desperation, 'cause words are my life, if not my livelihood, and the words are just. not. flowing. So, topics on my mind, in no particular order:

Vietnam - not thinking about it

Mammograms - I'm going to write a whole post on this, but, basically, if you are of the age where you need to think about this - go. get. one. I did, and I will write about it shortly.

DNA testing in criminal cases - this is why it should be done. In this case, I'm just left wondering why the hell it wasn't done 15 years ago.

Domestic Violence - I think that men who set their wives on fire should not get to be so lucky as to die from their own stupid, wicked hands, but should spend the rest of their lives locked up in a very small windowless space with a really big angry roommate. This just makes me want to weep, so, on a [MUCH] lighter note...


Friends - I had the pleasure of spending Saturday evening sitting on my the back deck of Family4Peace's house, with our friend CB and a pitcher of Margaritas and all the necessary fixings for peanut butter s'mores. It was...perfect. (And, um, if you've never made s'mores with a layer of peanut butter in them, WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR??? GO. You will, like, moan. I promise.)

Also, over the weekend, I attended a tea tasting with my girlfriend K~ and some other mom's from our Families with Children from China group. It was very interesting, but, I want to go on the record saying that 9 cups of tea, even 9 SMALL cups of tea, is too much tea in a 90 minute period. I have been drinking berry flavored green tea like a madwoman since the tea tasting, though. Yum.

Movies - I had a date with Husband last Friday and we went out to dinner and came home to watch a movie called "The Matador" starring Pierce Brosnan and Greg Kinear, neither of whom are particular favorites of mine, but....it's really good and they were surprisingly awesome in it. The movie was written and directed by a guy named Richard Shepard. I think we have established previously that I have an inexplicable "hit man" fetish, so, it should come as no surprise to anyone that I loved this very dark comedy about, you guessed it, a hit man. The movie has a tragic understory, but, wow, I loved it. So, for anyone out there who shares my black little heart - go. watch. enjoy.

TV - That Mitchell and Webb Look on BBC America on Friday evenings. Why aren't you watching? It's raunchy and wrong and twisted and strange and IT MAKES ME LAUGH VERY VERY HARD. Here is a (not work safe) link to one of their sketches. Party Organizers Discuss Scooby Doo

Grey's Anatomy is back again tonight with it's second new episode since the writer's strike. Rumor has it Addison returns. Probably there will be some kind of improbably coincidental obstetric emergency that pops up?? I'm kind of ticked at the writer's for ruining the LAST functional relationship on the show - why did they have to GO and MESS with BAILEY? Why? Why? Isn't anybody allowed to be happy in Seattle??? I kind of wish that, instead of Grey's, we could just have an episode of Private Practice, because, while I don't particularly care about Addison, I want to see Violet and Cooper finally get it together. Is that wrong of me?? (And why oh why did I write that down? Because now the writer's of Private Practice will come up with some reason to kill Violet or Cooper or both of them. Because they are just cruel to their fans that way.)

Music - I am listening to NOTHING NEW. I have been listening to Mike Doughty's "Haughty Melodic" and Jack Johnson's "In Between Dreams" and The Killer's "Hot Fuss" all week. I need some new music, so, tell me, what are YOU listening to?

I'm off to write a memo for that judge now.

LM

*Fuel, Wasted Time

4 Comments:

Blogger KG said...

Ok, there's a lot I could say here but I'll try to limit my response.

1. There's nothing like telling a client "you're screwed."

2. I LOVE PIERCE! He's a stud.

Thursday, May 01, 2008 3:36:00 PM  
Blogger mam said...

I've never heard of that BBC series but I'll certainly be on the lookout for it now, since you did me proper with the VMars hookup.

Looks like the blogging might have primed the pump; even though you feel blocked, it's not visible to the reader. Nice blogging.

Music: Jack Johnson, too, and recently The Killers.

Thursday, May 01, 2008 4:34:00 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Not much help with the music. I've been listening to the radio a lot lately, because I'm way too fickle to just stick with one artist or genre.

I can't listen to "Hot Fuss" anymore. I think went overboard on it, now it just gives me a headache. Kind of like vodka from my college days, only less fun. :)

Sunday, May 04, 2008 9:30:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Loved that movie, The Matador, and watching the extra features made me smile, because Greg Kinnear was so profoundly happy about playing an even slightly cool character. He went and spent his own money on the jacket he wore at the track.

Tuesday, May 06, 2008 3:30:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Get a Free Hit Counter