Friday, May 16, 2008

Oh Angelina, the Things That You Say...

Angelina Jolie and I have a couple of things in common.

For example, we both adopted older children from Vietnam.

We both have a biological child as well.

We have both attended the Cannes Film Festival. (Yes, that's true, I've been to the Cannes Film Festival. It's an AMAZING experience.) (But, that's not the point of this blog entry. Maybe another one, later.)

But, Angelina recently made a comment at this year's Cannes Film Festival that clearly indicates that Angelina and I may not even be from the same planet.

I got this quote from NBC.com by the way, so, I'm trusting that she actually said it.

Discussing her pregnancy, Ms. Jolie said,

"Like most women, I love being pregnant.” She added that pregnancy makes “you feel like more like a woman than you've ever felt. You just feel like everything about your body is there for your baby.”

I read that this morning and I went, "WHAT IS SHE SMOKING???"

I know that there are SOME women who LOVE being pregnant. I know that they do actually exist because my sister is one of them, and she will tell you that she LOVED being pregnant every time, and she has five biological children, so, I don't think she's kidding.

But I think Angie might be pushing the envelope when she claims to speak for "most women".

She definitely is NOT speaking for me. I HATED being pregnant. I was a TERRIBLE pregnant person. I was rude. I was surly. My co-workers lobbed protein bars over the walls of my cube (I was a number cruncher for a research firm at the time, I hadn't gone to law school yet) before they would come ask me for stuff. I constantly crunched ice and cried at the drop of a hat - such an attractive combination.

Additionally, I SOOOOOOOOO did NOT feel 'more like a woman' than I had ever felt. I felt like I had been invaded by an alien life force. I felt like someone was digging his toes into my rib cage while simutaneously shoving his index fingers into my bladder. (Who might that have been???) I had heartburn for 9 straight months. Frankly I think it's hard to feel "womanly" when you are waddling, burping, moaning about rib and hip pain, and crunching tums and ice at the same time. (Oh, yum, a little tums-flavored frappe in your mouth. Tasty. Not.)

I did not feel "womanly". I felt enormous and awkward and sick and pained. I felt...wretched.

Maybe it's easier to feel 'womanly' and beautiful when you have designer maternity wear and $500 shoes, and a team of people to do your hair and make-up. Maybe I'm being too hard on her, but, I did so much want to smack her when I read that this morning. (Except that I would never really smack anyone, certainly not a pregnant woman, I mean, I'm surly sometimes, but I'm not really cruel!)

I have no doubt that Angelina loves her kids as much as I do. (As much as I love mine, I mean. I don't love Angelina's kids.) (Not that they're not lovely children, I'm sure they're perfectly nice and all, I just don't, you know, love them, I've never even met them!)

But, I do have to disagree with her.

Of course, even my disagreement is not going to stop me from going to see her new movie coming out next month. It's about a SECRET SOCIETY OF HITMEN. (And hitwomen, evidently). How can I resist???

LM

OH - I forgot to mention, one OTHER thing Angelina and I do NOT have in common - I have never worn a vial of Billy Bob Thorton's blood in a bottle around my throat. I swear. :-P

9 Comments:

Blogger chel said...

You know, I have a feeling she said that because she got SO much flack in the press for bitching about her last pregnancy. She was also honest about how difficult it was for her to bond with her newborn daughter (after having an easier time bonding with her adopted children) and she got just ripped apart for that as well. So I think it's a bunch of lip service. God forbid she prefer adoption over natural childbirth! ;) (I know that sounds a little snarky, but you know *my* story.) :)

Friday, May 16, 2008 12:35:00 PM  
Blogger Space Mom said...

I also hated pregnancy And I did it twice! Brahahahahaha!
Yeah, I know.. I am crazy!

Friday, May 16, 2008 2:08:00 PM  
Blogger mam said...

I find it slightly distrubing that you had to qualify exactly who's blood you've never work around your throat...it kind of begs a question, don't you think?

Friday, May 16, 2008 5:01:00 PM  
Blogger Shamay said...

I am so with you on that. Hated being pregnant. HATED it. Love both my kids, but if I choose again, it will be the paperchase again. Not that the skipping pregnancy thing was any factor in our choice to adopt, but it sure was a lovely benefit!

Friday, May 16, 2008 10:12:00 PM  
Blogger KG said...

I recently did a whole post on how much I loathed pregnancy. LOATHED pregnancy.

But as for Angelina? I'd totally go lesbian for her.

Friday, May 16, 2008 10:28:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally disagree - she payed WAY more than $500 for her shoes :)

I do agree that pregnancy is not my personal cup of tea. This woman I met kept going on and on about how it is the most beautiful time in a woman's life. I looked right a her and replied that it really varies from person to person and I am the total variation.

Saturday, May 17, 2008 1:42:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

She did say it! I saw the video! And I, too, wanted to slap her. So glad to know I'm not the only person out there who didn't just revel in pregnancy. Every time someone told me I was glowing I wanted to take them out. Womanly my big toe. Cumbersome, awkward and totally beached whale. I think we should start a club.

Saturday, May 17, 2008 10:28:00 AM  
Blogger Jenny said...

I have known a few folks pregnant with twins...yeah, they really didn't love it, AT ALL.

And, if you have nannys, and homeschool teachers, and all the rest, to take care of everything else...why not love being pregnant.

And yeah...way more than 500 bones for those shoes!

Saturday, May 17, 2008 11:58:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ha - that would be something you and I most definitely have in common! I spent all my pregnancies muttering multiple times a day about how this is in no way normal or can not possibly be how things were designed to go because why would all my organs be pushed together and my entire body swell and my hips fall apart and my kidneys work in overtime? How is that natural, normal or womanly? I actually found childbirth pretty womanly but pregnancy, not so much.

Saturday, May 17, 2008 10:52:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Get a Free Hit Counter