Tuesday, July 20, 2010

It took so long to bake it, and I'll never have that recipe again*

Tomorrow afternoon two 16-year-old Japanese high school girls will be arriving at our home. They will be staying with us for 3 weeks, as part of a "sister cities" exchange program.

This will be the fourth summer we have participated in the program, but I haven't really been myself and have done less planning for their arrival.

I'm tapped out of recipe ideas and so I ask you, oh wise Internets - what should I feed my exchange students?

I want recipes that aren't too hard and are "typical North American dinners".

So far on my list I have:
1. Spaghetti with meat sauce and garlic bread
2. Hot dog and hamburgers on the grill with cole slaw
3. Carnitas (recipe courtesy of E. at Ordinary Time)

Hit me with idea, please?

LM

*Donna Summer, Macarthur Park - a song I cannot hear without thinking of a night in Osaka in September of 1996, when my boss, a woman named Alison who I think was a native of Chicago, took all of us ESL teachers out for a night of karoke singing. As I recall, I struggled through an embarrassing rendition of Copa Cabana with three other teachers. Then Alison stood up to sing and knocked us all over with an incredible singing voice as she burst into a trio of Donna Summer hits...good times, good times.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pot roast with mashed potatoes & gravy?
Crock pot chicken & dumplings?
BBQ ribs or chicken, baked beans & corn on the cob?
Chili?

Can you tell I'm southern? Sheeh!

My Yankee husband suggests salt potatoes, apple pie a la mode & hot wings, though not necessarily at the same time.

Tuesday, July 20, 2010 8:06:00 PM  
Blogger Cris and Em said...

de-lurking to say - homemade pizzas! :)

Tuesday, July 20, 2010 8:35:00 PM  
Blogger Ella At Last said...

Read the title of this post and, no joke, danced in my seat and started singing along. Oh, you learn the darndest things about my hidden musical past, don't you :)

My coconut oven fried chicken. HUGE hit with Asuka 3 years ago. Need it?

Tuesday, July 20, 2010 10:43:00 PM  
Blogger Trying Traditional said...

fried chicken
meatloaf
pork chops
lasagna
cornbread
steaks on the grill
sausage gravy and biscuits
western omelets
macaroni and cheese
pot pies
casseroles?

Tuesday, July 20, 2010 11:06:00 PM  
Blogger Trying Traditional said...

just thought of garden green beans simmered with a bit of bacon or ham, onions, and red potatoes

Tuesday, July 20, 2010 11:07:00 PM  
Blogger Stepping on Legos said...

burgers!!

Wednesday, July 21, 2010 10:18:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Grilled cheese
Mac and cheese.
Fried fish (that may be an east coast thing, though).
Something with a baked potato and green beans.
How about doing a Thanksgiving Dinner one night?
Apple pie.

Wednesday, July 21, 2010 12:59:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tacos? We eat them all the time (made with ground turkey). And how about pasta salad? Just cook any kind of pasta, throw in some grilled chicken and diced bell peppers and olives, or whatever, then pour your favorite salad dressing over it and you have a complete meal. Very easy.

Wednesday, July 21, 2010 7:15:00 PM  
Blogger Misc Momma said...

I agree with the fried chicken and bbq chicken. I agree casseroles are decidedly North American too, right? Not really a summer dish though. Homemade chocolate chip cookies!
~Tara

Thursday, July 22, 2010 9:06:00 AM  
Blogger My Franks said...

delurking to talk about food. Here are a few go to recipes that have been big crowd pleasers for me:
Baked mac and cheese-
http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/browse-all-recipes/macaroni-cheese-10000001548499/index.html

Chili!!! This recipe is very basic- but very good and not to hot. It also freezes very well, you can make it in advance. :
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Its-Chili-by-George/Detail.aspx

I also have a great cake recipe from "The cake Doctor" It is a winner with home made rocky road frosting over a dark chocolate cake.

And lastly...
on special occasions we will make appetizers for dinner. Fun fun fun finger food.

Happy hosting.

Friday, July 23, 2010 9:02:00 AM  
Blogger Grace said...

Apple pie! Strawberry shortcake! (I think I want dessert). Maybe homemade mac and cheese, or american-mexican food?

Monday, July 26, 2010 5:54:00 PM  
Blogger thecurryseven said...

This is completely unrelated to your post!

Could you email me? ( thecurryseven at sbcglobal dot net ) I lost your email address and my young friend would love to email you aunt and uncle about Uganda.

Thanks!
e

Saturday, July 31, 2010 3:01:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Get a Free Hit Counter