Thursday, April 13, 2006

Celebrity Adoption, and why adopt?

I've been reading several stories about the fact that Jessica Simpson wants to adopt a child before having her "own". Here is some nice commentary about that:

http://parenting.families.com/blog/jessica-simpson-mother

I think what bothers me most about this is the idea of becoming an adoptive mother to "help".

I don't really think my primary motivation for wanting another child is to "help" that child.

I don't want this child to think that we are taking him in and loving him and making him our own out of some kind of charity. Or, even worse, pity.

I do not pity this child. My feelings towards this child are not, I don't think, charitable ones.

Dare I say that I am motivated by selfishness? Because I want to have another child. I want a child. I want a child.

I don't want to "save" this child - I admit that giving the child a better life than the one he would otherwise have is a probably outcome - but, it's not the motivating factor.

I don't think people should look at adoptive parents and think, 'that's so kind, what a selfless gesture, to adopt a child who is unwanted.'

Because that's not true. This child, this son or daughter, is very much wanted. For my own selfish reasons. Because I want to make my family complete. Not because I want to save him.

And I hate the idea that she wants to adopt before she has her "own". "Samuel" is my OWN. As much as Gabe is my own.

3 Comments:

Blogger R&H said...

ugh, I'm speechless. Jessica Simpson makes me cringe.

Thursday, April 13, 2006 4:27:00 PM  
Blogger Nicole - Raising Animals said...

We had a talk about this on Nicki's site (she the one that wrote it) and we all agree, it's a joke! What a train wreck she would cause for a poor kid if she were to adopt. If he tries it, I hope a social worker would look beyond the bank account balance and see how non-stable this kid's life would be.

Thursday, April 13, 2006 6:25:00 PM  
Blogger Stepping On Legos said...

Yep, I am clearly not over it either becuase I was just b*tching about it two days ago at a friend's house. It bugs me to no end that someone would only want to adopt in order to "help". If she just donated $10,000 to a birth family she could probably keep that child iwth the family for LIFE! THAT would be helping! Adopting when her life is such a mess as it is is NOT fair to any child, I don't care where they live or what their circumstances. And the fact that she said she plans to have her OWN kids just sent me. Her own kids? What would this baby be? Her "project" child?!? Ugh. Yes, it sends me...

Friday, April 14, 2006 1:27:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Get a Free Hit Counter