Wednesday, July 19, 2006

My day started with $16,000 and tears

Some days it is weird to be a real estate attorney. Especially one who does a lot of foreclosure work, which is depressing.

My day started with a woman coming into my office with $16,000 in cash and a tearful request that her house not be auctioned at this morning's sheriff's sale auction of foreclosed real estate.

As it happened, it was enough money to reinstate her loan and stop the sale. (Lest anyone think it is easy or usual to stop a foreclosure sale on the morning of the foreclosure sale, I assure you this was an odd situation in which the attorney (me) and the debtor were actually in the same city as the scheduled foreclosure auction.)

To be honest, I don't think I have ever seen quite so much cash in one place in my entire life.

It takes up a lot of space, $16,000 does. (Also, it takes a long time to go over $16,000 with a counterfeit catching pen...oy.)

(Lest anyone think the $16,000 was for ME to KEEP - HAH! It was for the mortgage holding bank. Not for me or my firm.)

Anyway, for me, the result of this was a mad dash to the courthouse to get a judge to sign an order stopping the foreclosure auction. It was a bit down to the wire - the sale was scheduled for 10:00 AM. Judge B~ signed my order at 9:45 AM.

My advice - don't let this happen to you because I highly doubt that there are many foreclosure attorneys who would be willing to run around and go begging for a judge fifteen minutes before you lose your house.

No news on the adoption front today.

Husband and I and Gabe met friends for dinner, which was incredibly pleasant and reminded me that I need to spend more time with my Girlfriends.

Speaking of Girlfriends, my real life friend JDEgirl asks, "What would you do if you knew you would not fail?"

My answers:

1. Lose 40 pounds
2. Write a great American novel
3. Move to Montreal

Finally, I must post this link, because any headline that contains the phrase runaway circus kangaroo must be SHARED.

kangaroo

1 Comments:

Blogger Mrs. Broccoli Guy said...

Wow,you are a very nice attorney. And you have a lucky client.
That kangaroo story sounds like something out of a Disney movie - too funny!

Thursday, July 20, 2006 2:34:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Get a Free Hit Counter