Sunday, July 09, 2006

Waiting Families Pool Party

Yesterday Husband and I hosted the local "Families with Children from China" waiting families* pool party and potluck.

Now, I know you are thinking, Lawmommy, you are NOT a family with a child from China, nor are you WAITING for a child from China, so, what's up with you hosting an FCC event?

To which I say, hey, come on, I live in smallish city. FCC was kind enough to let me join, because, they have some other families who have adopted from Korea, and one other family who adopted from Vietnam, so, it all makes sense, ultimately. I'm also a member of the Southeast Michigan Families with Children from Vietnam, and since we don't live in Michigan (technically speaking, although I could throw a stone from my backyard and it would land in Michigan) - I guess I am breaking rules of group membership all over the place. :-P

I have to say, overall, the party seems to have been a remarkable success. The food was wonderful (lots of noodles and steamed dumplings). The children were adorable (there were several families who came who are awaiting their second referral, so, Gabe had the opportunity to play nicely with some three year old girls - it was nice to see him being all big-brotherish.) The nicest part of the evening, one of the families had a "home grown" daughter almost exactly Gabe's age, named C~, and a three year old daughter named G~ who has been home from China about 9 months. The three of them played together for almost two hours - it was adorable. Gabe is anxious to play again with his new friend C~. Very cute.)

Anyway, lots of people oohed and aahed over pictures of Lana, and one other mom was there who received her referral about two weeks ago, so, we oohed and aahed over her photo too. Other families were there with a year of waiting in front of them - it's nice to be with other families who know what this peculiar kind of waiting is like.

On the Vietnam families adoption front, I am thrilled for Nicole at the Quest for #2 (vietnamaddition.blogspot.com) who left for HoChiMinhCity last night, and for Nicki at (sixmonkeyjungle.blogspot.com), who just got her referral (and who I hope I will run into at a SE Michigan FCV event sometime!). However, my heart is breaking for Mrs. Broccoli Guy at (mrsbroccoliguy.blogspot.com), so, go over there and give her some support if you haven't already.

(Seriously, someone needs to teach me how to make the nice pretty hyperlinks!!)

LM

* i.e. families who are waiting for a child to come home

2 Comments:

Blogger Stepping On Legos said...

Wow, when will you host a FCV SE MI pool party!??! :-) I just sent an email inquiring about that chapter today - can you tell me about it? Is it active? We probably live like 2 hours apart, you know! It sounds like you had a fantastic time - I'm jealous! Thanks for the shout out :-)

Sunday, July 09, 2006 5:31:00 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

Links are easy.

type in what you want the link to be, highlight it and then press the little link button above the edit window and then paste in the hyperlink you want.

Need more help, just email me.

Sunday, July 09, 2006 7:56:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Get a Free Hit Counter