Friday, April 06, 2007

Tired

I am SO TIRED. Seriously, so very very tired.

I am not sure what happened to this child who formerly slept like the dead. I miss that child. Because THIS child, this child who has not been sleeping so much for the past few weeks, is EXHAUSTING ME.

We had two nights where she was up screaming like a banshee at 1:00 AM. Then we had some nights where she didn't scream, she just kind of moaned and yelled in her sleep on and off all night long. Nights where she wakes up needing to go the bathroom and then begs to sleep with Mommy or Daddy or Gabriel.

Yesterday, I took the day off and Husband and I drove to Ikea with the intention of getting a loft bed with a desk for Gabriel's room and a bed with a trundle for Lana's room, so that Gabriel can sleep with her occasion. (They both ask to be able to sleep in the same room on a fairly regular basis, so, I thought if her bed had a trundle bed then Gabe could sleep in there for a few nights and maybe Lana would go back to sleeping 10 to 12 hours per night.)

Anyway, we got to Ikea and were totally overwhelmed by the gazillion possibilities. And overwhelmed by how VERY MANY PEOPLE were there on a Thursday at 10:30 in the morning.

So, finally, after 2 hours of wandering around trying to find what we wanted, we settled on the Tromso loft bed and desk for Gabriel (you can see them here http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?topcategoryId=15558&catalogId=10103&storeId=12&productId=11534&langId=-1&categoryId=15619&chosenPartNumber=50019950 and here http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10103&storeId=12&langId=-1&productId=50797 ) and we wanted the Robin bed and trundle bed for Lana's room. (This http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10103&storeId=12&langId=-1&productId=68614)

Problematically, they were sold out of the bed and trundle bed. AND THEY HAD NO OTHER TRUNDLE BEDS available either. NONE.

I'm sorry. This is freaking IKEA. Reasonably priced fashionable Swedish furniture solutions!! HOW CAN THEY HAVE NO TRUNDLE BEDS AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE?? HOW???

And THEN, despite following their instructions for actually locating the boxes we needed for Gabe's bed and desk, we were not able to actually find them. We had to find an IKEA employee (no easy task considering the place was SWAMPED) and they took us to the aisle/bin where the boxes were supposed to be, and low and behold, the boxes were not there. So THEN a manager had to be located, who had to make phone calls, who spoke to someone who said that, "oh, yes, those desks had to be moved to different location because of x, y or z." (I don't remember). So, THEN, we had to go that aisle to find the desk, which was sitting in a bin marked, "MALM Queen Sized Bed Frame". Which the bin WASN'T, because it was filled with boxes of Gabriel's desk. So, heaven help any IKEA customers who wanted the MALM bed frame...

Anyway, we got it home and Husband put the bed and desk together and Lana was ticked because Gabe got a new bed and she didn't. So, we told her she could sleep in Gabe's room in her sleeping bag.

And there was much getting up and down by the children, and then there was much screaming and yelling about them not being asleep and lines were drawn in the sand about what was going to happen if a parent had to come into the bedroom again, and then, of course, we had to go back in, and then Lana was made to go and sleep in her own bed and all hell broke loose. By which I mean she screamed for about an hour (during which time I had a complete and utter meltdown because she has been giving us a hard time with sleeping for two weeks now and I've just about reached the end of my damn rope) and she finally fell asleep in her own bed, against her will, around 10:45. And then she was up screaming and yelling at 12:15, and she refused to go the bathroom, and then when put back in her bed she demanded to go to the bathroom, and then claimed that she was in pain but couldn't identify where, and I gave up and took her into the guest room where she fell asleep and I kind of fell asleep, except that she woke up every now and then to cry for no apparent reason for a minute or two, which would wake me up and then it takes me a while to get back to sleep, and then she would cry for a minute or two again and the whole stupid cycle began again.

Anyway, the point is, I'm tired. And fed up with this sleep nonsense.

This mornign she woke up and announced that she "NO SLEEP IN LANA'S BED. NO SLEEP THERE." And, frankly, I was tempted to chuck her and the bed out the window.

Anyway, I have no idea what to do about this situation. We have been to the doctor and she is not sick. Any advice would be appreciated.

LM

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's a little late now, but my advice, had you asked, would have been never to buy a bed from IKEA.

Everything else -- absolutely. But (unless they've managed to fix this problem) I've found that their beds tend not quite to fit standard-sized sheets. Which is not a good thing.

Friday, April 06, 2007 6:14:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, just want to say I feel for you with the no sleep routine. We go in and out of no sleep cycles with our little guy, and I'm not the in the friendliest of moods while we're in those phases either. I hope she snaps out of it soon, for everyone's sake! Hang in there.

Friday, April 06, 2007 9:39:00 PM  
Blogger Nicole - Raising Animals said...

Kinhly's been refusing to sleep in a bed as well but loves to sleep on the floor. Comforter on the floor, pillow, and her Dora blanket and she's good for the night. Her bed, since she's so little, is just a mattress on the floor anyway, so we don't worry about it. Have you tried letting her make her own bed (on the floor) where ever she wants in her room? Might be worth trying.

Saturday, April 07, 2007 12:27:00 AM  
Blogger Jenny said...

I hate ikea for that. They never have what you want there. I love ikea but that stupid warehouse is impossible to find.

the sleep. I completely hear ya. I am beat down all the time. I actually am looking forward to these kids getting older so I can tell them to go to sleep.

Try to rest when you can. I do hope things get better.

Saturday, April 07, 2007 7:38:00 AM  
Blogger jenn said...

It sounds like a typical night in my house wiht our older two bio kids!!! They are 5 and 6 and have bunk beds (which did helpa bit from seperate beds)

There are nights they have their nose on the wall until they start falling asleep there! I hope its a bit of consolation that this is normal kid behavior and it does get better. I'm talking right down to the pee then not pee and pain and fighting and sharing...it's like some kind of love hate triangle at the hours of the day a parent has trouble coping.
I am not sure if you are a Sam's Club member but they had a little girl's dream bed there: white with a tad bit of scrolling, but not too fru-fru, 4 poster, trundle under neat and kit to convert trundle into drawers.

Saturday, April 07, 2007 10:13:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would recommend that you try to establish and stick to a routine as much as possible. Make it a priority to get her to bed early and at the same time every night. Make sure you have a calming bedtime routine that you do every night. Read books, tells stories, whatever. If the kids want to share a room think about letting them but I would either do it or not do it, don't go back and forth as this upsets the routine. Kids really benefit from consistency. If she normally naps at preschool make sure she naps around the same time on the weekends too. Good luck!

Saturday, April 07, 2007 3:04:00 PM  
Blogger Kelly said...

I don't have any advice but I wanted you to know that I am praying that this gets better soon. Exhaustion is the worst and makes anyone feel like they are no longer functioning. I hope restful nights are coming your way soon.

Monday, April 09, 2007 9:37:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Get a Free Hit Counter