Friday, November 30, 2007

Soakin' Cold

As Lana becomes fluent in English, some of her phrases cause me endless amusement. She has recently begun to use the word "soaking" in the most interesting way. (I mean, I find it linguistically interesting, because I am a geek that way, but, also, I find it adorable.)

She learned the term "soaking wet" over the summer when we were swimming in the pool every day.

When it started to get cold, she looked at me and said, "Mommy, I'm soakin' cold." The first time she said it, I asked her to repeat it, as I wasn't sure I'd heard her correctly. "Soakin' cold, mom." She said. "Not soakin' wet right now, but, soakin' cold."

At Halloween she happily announced to Gabriel, "We're SOAKIN' in candy, Gabe! Soakin' in candy!"

She has also, on other occasions, been "soaking hungry" and "soaking tired" and "soaking in birthday presents."

It's astonishingly cute, is what it is.

I don't have the heart to tell her these aren't common colloquialisms - besides, maybe it'll catch on. Maybe soon, all across the Midwest, we'll be soaking cold. While we're soaking in Christmas presents. While we cure our soaking hunger with some Christmas treats.

LM

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger Stacy said...

Aww, that is astonishingly cute! And really, I think it could very well catch on. It's soakin' cold up here in Minnesota today - and really, that covers it better than anything I could come up with!

Friday, November 30, 2007 9:45:00 PM  
Blogger Catherine said...

Way too cute -

Friday, November 30, 2007 11:12:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, it is both genius and adorable :-)

Friday, November 30, 2007 11:35:00 PM  
Blogger mam said...

I think it WILL catch on! I'll lead the west-coast charge...let me know when it makes its way east across the country.

Soakingly amused,
Melissa

Saturday, December 01, 2007 10:22:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

..."both genius and adorable", as nicki said, sums it up, but i *still* felt compelled to comment just to say the same thing---darling!

Teri
(from Iowa, soakingly ice-coated)

Sunday, December 02, 2007 5:42:00 PM  
Blogger Tasha Kent said...

that is so soaking cool how she is quickly soaking up the English language.

Soak on!

Monday, December 03, 2007 2:08:00 PM  
Blogger Elaine said...

We can soak up the sun, right? So why not soak up the candy and the presents? Makes sense to me! Too cute.
Elaine

Wednesday, December 05, 2007 9:06:00 AM  
Blogger StorkWatcher said...

This will be my new favorite saying - I need to replace "freakin'" , which is what I would have said, were I that cold. But some people say that's too close to the "F-word, F-bomb" - you know what I mean. ANd I don't say that one.

So, Soakin' sounds rockin'! She coined a cool phrase! Soakin' wet.....

Thursday, December 20, 2007 12:38:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Get a Free Hit Counter