Saturday, May 31, 2008

Girlfriends and the Sex and the City movie

Yesterday was kind of a stressful day for me. Without going into too many details, the last business day of the month requires the submission of status reports to our firm's two biggest clients, and, as such, is generally a day of stress for me as I frantically try to get them done before 3:00.

Adding to my stress was the fact that Gabriel has been having a lot of headaches this month, which culminated Thursday night with something that looked like a migraine - he was doubled over in pain, nauseated, holding his head. Frankly, it was scary...very scary. And because I found it very scary, I accused Husband of not being scared enough or concerned enough. I don't think it made a lot of sense - I'm not really a sensible person when I'm worried about my kids.

Friday morning Gabe's head was still hurting (although not like the night before) and called into my office to say that I didn't know when or if I was coming in, and that I would try to email the information needed for the reports if necessary.

I took Gabe to the doctor, where it was suggested that Gabe may be having a headache side-effect reaction to a medication he has just started taking for enuresis (which is really a saga that deserves its own blog post, but, I'm not going there now). Anyway, the doctor told me to have him stop taking that medication, and monitor for severe headaches over the next 3 or 4 days, and if they don't go away, we will talk about a cat-scan next week. He seemed fairly certain that the problem was the medication and not all of the very scary places that my worst-case-scenario head was jumping to.

As I was leaving the doctor's office with Gabe, my Girlfriend CB called to say that she was in town and did I want to have lunch? (She lives in a small town about 45 minutes away, so, I don't get to see her as often as I would like.) So, Gabe and I went and met CB for lunch at a Lebanese place we all like, and it was just...incredibly reassuring and comforting to have lunch with a girlfriend who could listen to my concerns about the whole headache debacle, and just by her presence make me feel like things are okay and right with the world. Or, I guess, if they are not okay and right with the world, at least we are not facing the things that are not okay or not right all alone...

After lunch I took Gabe to my office, and he played on "webkinz.com" on my computer, and I dealt with my reports and two cases that needed my attention. Then Gabe and I went and picked up Lana from school, and I took them to my sister's house for a playdate with their cousins.

I left my sister's, and went and met my Girlfriends H~ and K~ for our planned Girls Night Out for the Sex and the City movie.

The three of us had drinks and hors d'oeuvres and dessert at a brew pub across the street from the theater, and then we walked over and spent almost 2 and half hours laughing and crying and laughing and crying at the sagas of Carrie, Charlotte, Miranda and Samantha.

And I just...LOVED* it.

So, here's my advice: if you loved the show, or even if you didn't love the show, but, watched it now and then and enjoyed it - grab some of your Girlfriends, go to dinner, and then go spend 2 hours laughing and crying and laughing with the girls of Sex and The City.


LM

*all except one thing (involving Samantha, who is probably my favorite), which I will save for a post next week, when I will have assumed that anyone who really wants to see the movie will probably have seen it.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I am so sorry to hear about Gabe's headaches. I would freak if one of my kids got a migraine. I just can't stand to see them suffering like that. I'm glad you were able to meet up with a friend. It always helps to not be alone.

Saturday, May 31, 2008 10:52:00 AM  
Blogger mam said...

Crying? You know me well enough to know that even though I'm going to see the movie, I might need you to tell me what to expect in advance...but if I do, I'll do it offline.

So sorry about Gabe. I hope he's feeling better today and tomorrow.

Sunday, June 01, 2008 12:23:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i noticed that Sex and the City has a polarizing effect on both men and women... people either love the movie or they hate it

Thursday, June 19, 2008 2:55:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Get a Free Hit Counter