Sunday, September 21, 2008

I am NOT a LLAMA!



Gabe had a friend over yesterday who (either inadvertently or on purpose, I don't know which) called Lana, "Llama".

It's actually not that far a stretch from Lana to Llama. Although many people mispronounce Lana's name like beginning of the word "land" with an "a" on the end, her name is more correctly pronounced like the word "llama," only exchanging the "m" sound for an "n" sound.*

Do you suppose more people would say it right if we changed the spelling to "Llana"? (Or, you know, that might lead to her being called "Yana," which would just be ridiculous.)

At any rate, after several instances of being called, "Llama" by Gabe's friend, Lana had had enough.

Which is when I heard her yell something that I really never expected either of children would have a need to yell across our yard, ever ~ namely,

"LISTEN TO ME!!! I. AM. NOT. A. LLAMA!!"

It gave me a giggle.

LM

*we choose to pronounce her name this way because it was the way she, herself, pronounced her Vietnamese name, which was "Lan". We just westernized her name by adding the "a" sound on the end.

7 Comments:

Blogger mam said...

She's too old now, but she might enjoy the kids' book "Is Your Mama a Llama?" as a little inside joke. It's one of my favorites.

Sunday, September 21, 2008 10:53:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go Lana! Don't let any kid screw with your name! (it may have been accidental, but she's smart to know she doesn't want that nickname to stick!!)

Sunday, September 21, 2008 11:50:00 AM  
Blogger La Turista said...

Oh Mam beat me to it. I was going to say, "Yes, but are YOU, her mama, a llama?"

Sunday, September 21, 2008 2:57:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

bwahahah.

Dalton has been called dolphin his whole life by little kids. He can empathize!!!

I always knew it was pronounced that way - don't most people pronounce it that way? The other pronunciation would drive me insane.

Sunday, September 21, 2008 5:27:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My boys have a friend named Layne. My 5-year-old continues to call him Lame. I've given up. He will not call him Layne. At least "Lame" is only seven and isn't offended.

Sunday, September 21, 2008 7:34:00 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

My mom has a friend named lana...prounced the way you pronounce it. It isn't usual but not unusual.

but GO Lana. I hope my girls get to where they can say "NO I AM NOT CAMMIE" "NO I AM NOT MIMI"

Sunday, September 21, 2008 9:57:00 PM  
Blogger Anne K. said...

You know, I'm so glad to read this (Lana's discomfiture aside) because when I read your posts, I always pronounce her name in my head with the short a sound -- guess all the other Lanas I've known over the years (and there have only been two or three) have been short-a types. I will correct my mental pronunciation now for your sweet girl -- rhyming with llama it is, even though she most. emphatically. is. not. one!!!!! :-) Too, too cute!!!!!

Monday, September 22, 2008 10:42:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Get a Free Hit Counter