Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Boo-Hiss!

I'm home today with Gabe and Lana, because they don't have school on the day before Thanksgiving.

Husband, unfortunately, teaches in a different district, and they DO have school.

I slept in (hurray for one kid who can get his own breakfast and read a book by himself when he wakes up, and hurray for the other kid who likes to sleep in!)

When I pulled myself from the warm embrace of my mattress, I sat down to drink some coffee and read the paper.

The paper had some ads stuffed into it.

I assumed the ads would be advertising Black Friday deals, but, in fact, the ads were touting:

THANKSGIVING DAY ONLY SPECIALS!!!

To which I say, "WHAT?" and "EXCUSE ME VERY MUCH?" and "WHAT IN THE SAM HELL ARE YOU THINKING?"

I never shop on Black Friday because I have panic attacks when I am surrounded by too many people in enclosed places, especially when they are all fighting to get the only 2 WII Fits in store. But, at least I understand Black Friday. I have family members who get up at 4:ooAM to go stand in the cold to get the good deals. I get it. I don't want to participate, but I get it.

HOWEVER, "Thanksgiving Day Only" specials? BOO-HISS, retailers, BOO-HISS!!!

Thanksgiving Day? Is one of the few holidays that is both uniquely American AND not subject to rampant consumerism. There are no gifts to purchase for Thanksgiving. There are no costumes.

Thanksgiving? It's about FOOD, and FAMILY and FRIENDSHIP and PARADE FLOATS and watching "Miracle on 34th Street" for the 37th time (preferably the original version with Natalie Wood, but if the remake is your thing, I'm not going to rain on your parade). It's about gathering together with people you love and eating too much food and being thankful for what you have. It's a beautiful thing, Thanksgiving Day.

IT IS NOT ABOUT SHOPPING.

It should NOT be about retailers forcing their minimum wage workers to come in and work on a day when they SHOULD be home with their FAMILIES eating TURKEY.

And so, to the stores that send advertisement circulars in my paper today - and I will NAME you because that's the way I roll when I am ticked - I say this:

Meijer and Kmart - I AM SO DISAPPOINTED IN YOU.

And to everyone else, I am asking you, begging you, imploring and pleading:

PLEASE DON'T GO SHOPPING ON THANKSGIVING DAY.

Unless you have a sick kid and need to find an open pharmacy because you ran out of ibuprofen or something (and in which case, can I take this moment to remind you, while you are at the grocery TODAY buying the fixings for green bean casserole - buy iburprofen...and Tums) - PLEASE DON'T PLAY INTO THIS ATTEMPT TO RUIN THANKGIVING. Retailers need to hear a message from consumers - and that message should be - we want people to spend Thanksgiving with their FAMILIES, not waiting on customers.

LM

9 Comments:

Blogger Ella At Last said...

Sing it from the rooftops, Law Mommy!!! Amen!!! I have to walk through Meijer's doors today and if I could change the order placed earlier this week I SO, SO would. Enjoy your non-shopping holiday with family tomorrow...in all of its glorious dysfunction. :)

Wednesday, November 25, 2009 10:35:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey that dysfunction is my family, not hers (that's on Friday) :)

Wednesday, November 25, 2009 10:45:00 AM  
Blogger kitchu said...

!!!!! speechless and glad you spoke loudly and clearly on this subject. AWFUL.

wish i didn't have to work tomorrow as I miss the "family" and "food" of thanksgiving and what it's all about.

Wednesday, November 25, 2009 11:41:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

amen, amen and AMEN! Also? LOVE the old Miracle on 34th street!!

If I'm sitting next to my laptop with nothing to do, it's altogether possible I may shop ONLINE on Thanksgiving but no way no how would I go to an actual store!

Wednesday, November 25, 2009 1:10:00 PM  
Blogger Stepping on Legos said...

I totally agree!

I LIVE for black friday! I am embarrassed about that fact but I do so very much love a good deal. But I have standards. Standards that preclude shopping at Walmart. And also from shopping on Thanksgiving!!!

That said, I am actually going to Toys R Us at midnight Thanksgiving night (technically black friday, right?) but not due to any sense of urgency. I'm only going then because it works WAY better in my schedule to go before I go to sleep than to wake my sleepy head up at 4am :P

Wednesday, November 25, 2009 2:07:00 PM  
Blogger Trying Traditional said...

While I agree on principle, I know a couple people who are so thankful their place is open on Thanksgiving day since their husband hasn't worked for a couple months and they can use any hours given (especially the one's working for holiday pay.) Personally, I won't be shopping, the day should be spent with family, but I am thankful that people who need it are getting a bit more in their paycheck.

And on Black Friday: I did it once when preggo with my oldest. In the midst of it I figured if I made it our of Kmart alive without a miscarriage I would be lucky, who cares what I went to buy! Never again, it just isn't worth it, I would rather go without than deal with the madness.

On 34th Street: the original is the way to go every time :)

Thursday, November 26, 2009 11:03:00 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Couldn't agree more. I was disgusted when I read the stores were going to be open. Is no day sacred anymore??

Thursday, November 26, 2009 10:12:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do love Miracle on 34th, the original. And, I understand where you're coming from, but I must admit, I went shopping on Thanksgiving- at 8pm. All of our festivities were over, though, and we were just sitting around feeling bloated. I went to Michael's crafts for a couple of frames I wanted for a while. I have to say, I didn't feel bad about it at all. The whole family went and it went fine. I don't think they opened 'till 5pm. If it makes you feel any better, those workers get paid at least time and a half for working on holidays. (I always volunteered on New Year's Day b/c I wasn't a drinker and knew I wouldn't be hung over.:) I wouldn't have gone during the day on Thanksgiving, but it's not a religious holiday, so I guess I just don't feel as strongly about it.

Saturday, November 28, 2009 10:53:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so with you on this! I love Black Friday, but shopping on Thanksgiving??? No, no, no. Nobody should have to work on Thanksgiving just so I can save ten dollars on a video or something. Last year my brothers went out on Thanksgiving to shop, and when they asked me why I wasn't going with them and I told them it was wrong for people to have to work on Thanksgiving just so we could needlessly shop, one said, "Well, if they don't like it they should get different jobs." Words cannot properly convey how much my estimation of that brother plummeted.

Sunday, November 29, 2009 4:44:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Get a Free Hit Counter