Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Don't Wait Too Long To Come Home, My How the Years and Our Youth Passed On*

The wind is whipping off the Lake today like it's November and not the end of September. We haven't even closed our pool yet, but today it feels Autumn, hardly here, is giving way to Winter. Across the street from my office, in the coffee shop, several Coast Guard guys** are still in their summer short-sleeved uniforms - shivering and hunched over coffee.

I am wrapped in melancholy and blanketed in nostalgia.

I spent Saturday with some of my favorite people from college.

It was Homecoming, and it seems, sometimes, you can go home again.

Saturday afternoon I sat on the front porch of my theater professor's house, with most of the people who made up my world in those days. (I did a lot of theater. We were always in rehearsal, always running lines, or constructing a set, or taking one down.) We ate chili and garlic bread and drank and laughed. We laughed that deep down belly laughter that shakes your whole body. It was wonderful to laugh like that.

Then we tail-gated outside the football stadium (something I didn't actually do when I was IN college) and went for Mexican food, and to our favorite bar...where they actually RAN OUT OF GLASSES because there were so many people had come in for Homecoming.


There was a perfection to the whole day, marred only by the absence of Husband, who stayed home with Gabe and Lana so that I could walk down memory lane with some of my favorite people.

Some of my friendships, born in college, have grown and changed and those people (you know who you are) are even more important to me today than fifteen years ago. But some of my other friends from college - some of the ones I had a chance to see on Saturday, are people I hadn't seen in years. And it's likely I will not see them again for a long time. But for a few hours, it felt like no time had passed at all. It was magical and it meant more to me than I can adequately express.

LM

* The Gaslight Anthem, Miles Davis and The Cool
** What is the proper term for a person in the Coast Guard? A Sailor? A Lakeman? I should know, I see them almost every day, but I don't know what they are called.

8 Comments:

Blogger Ella At Last said...

Reading that was like eating grilled cheese and tomato soup. You know what I'm sayin??

Tuesday, September 29, 2009 11:44:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know we call them "Coastie" but I don't think that is the actual term for one in the Coast Guard. My neighbor's husband is a Coastie, so I'll ask her..
Sounds like a wonderful time. I love those kinds of friends.

Tuesday, September 29, 2009 1:50:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

[Stepping out of the gloom where I have been lurking]...
Hello! I love your writing.
And let's not forget ramen noodles, eh? Staple of the student!

Tuesday, September 29, 2009 2:06:00 PM  
Blogger Melissia said...

My husband who retired as a Lt Commander in the Navy refers to them as "Guardsmen", so my guess is that that is what they are called.
There is even a Wikipedia picture that refers to a group of people in uniform as "Coast Guardsmen" so I guess that is correct.

Tuesday, September 29, 2009 2:20:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would go with Guardsmen as well. I feel like I've heard that one most often. And chili and garlic bread sounds SO good right now!

Wednesday, September 30, 2009 1:30:00 AM  
Blogger Grace said...

The military consensus from my family says Guardsman! And now I am going to go make garlic bread.

Wednesday, September 30, 2009 6:12:00 PM  
Blogger mam said...

And I'm going to make chili tonight, I think. It feels unseasonably cold here too, and I'm LOVING it. It's awesome.

Thursday, October 01, 2009 10:06:00 AM  
Blogger Monique said...

I have been reading your blog for quite some time. Did you see the essay from Anita Tedaldi (http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/33089578/ns/today-parenting_and_family//)? She was featured on The Today Show and I know you like reading/viewing contreversial news. Also a video clip: http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/26184891/vp/31904803#33116911

Monique

Thursday, October 01, 2009 11:16:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Get a Free Hit Counter