Thursday, January 07, 2010

One Less Creepy Song?

I am the only one, upon hearing the song "One Less Lonely Girl" who thought, "Hmmm...this is going to be the biggest Sapphic love song since the Indigo Girls covered Dire Strait's* 'Romeo and Juliet'"?

And then I thought, "This Colbie-Caillait-sounding-chick who is singing this song really should have called it 'Two Less Lonely Girls' because, really, they would be together, and then it would TWO less lonely girls, since they found eachother and all."

I kind of liked the song, and I heard it about fourteen times a day for the last few weeks on the radio.

And then, to my HORROR, I realized it is being sung by a tiny little boy who appears to be about 12, and FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY, is he TRYING to seduce a broken-hearted-35-year-old divorcee?

(I mean, seriously, the lyrics, "Christmas wasn't Merry, 14th of February/ Not one of them spent with you/ How many dinner dates, set dinner plates/ And he didn't even touch his food?" These are not lyrics aimed at 14 year old girls. How many fourteen year old girls do you know who could even relate to this stanza? NONE, I tell you! None! ")

Now I cannot listen to the song. It just creeps me out and makes me think about Mary Kay LeTourneau...

Maybe someday Melissa Etheridge (or, you know, an actual adult male) will do a cover of this and make it okay, but for right now? I am creeped out.

LM

* Speaking of Dire Straits, Husband and I have tickets to see Mark Knopfler in April and I am VERY excited.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha ha! My "Dear" post for this week (which so far is very short) addresses this exact same topic. I saw the tailend of his New Year's performance of that song and thought, "Ewwww."

Thursday, January 07, 2010 4:06:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

check this out - about the little heart throb.

http://www.feministing.com/archives/019506.html

Thursday, January 07, 2010 10:57:00 PM  
Blogger mam said...

Don't know that song but now must go listen over and over again to Dire Straits Romeo & Juliet...LOVE that song and am jealous of your upcoming concert.

(And apparently am writing like Bridget Jones all of the sudden, no pronouns. Had to restrian self from writing "v. jealous" instead of "jealous.")

Friday, January 08, 2010 12:44:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And I am so lost in my XM 80's station (free for 3 months!) that I don't even know the song you are talking about!
Little boys singing love songs = super creepy.

Friday, January 08, 2010 10:00:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Get a Free Hit Counter