Friday, February 10, 2006

Maternal Guilt

It's probaby a good thing that my child is not lactose intolerant, because, for dinner last night he ate: a piece of sharp cheddar cheese, a container of yogurt, a glass of milk...and a banana. See, the fruit group was represented!! The fruit group was FULLY represented. Of course, the total absence of the bread group or meat group is noticeable...

But, if I recall anything from high school health class, don't cheese and milk form a complete amino acid chain? Isn't that almost a meat substitute???

Wait, no, it's not. It's cheese and EGG that form a complete protein. And Gabe - is not a big fan of eggs.

It's not like he's going to fall over in a stiff wind - but, getting protein into this kid is a challenge.

He DOES happily eat Morningstar Farms "chick" nuggets. And also fish sticks. Fish sticks have got to have some kind of protein-like substance in them, right?

He'll eat plain chicken if it's not on the bone...and broccoli. He happily eats broccoli if I put Lawry's season salt on it.

Not that I had any of these items for him yesterday evening, and I simply allowed him his festival o' dairy products, like a weak, lazy mother...sigh...the kid truly is a dairy junkie.

I'm not saying he's out on the corner trying to score a pint of Strawberry Quik, but, he probably would be if I let him cross the street by himself...

Oh...the evening gets worse...after dinner, while my husband was off engaged in the health benefits of teaching a yoga class - Gabe and I played two non-stop hours of Nintendo. Dear God, I am going to rot in mothering-hell. Does it count as quality parenting time if the parent is playing Nintendo with the child? Because, we were FULLY playing together. We are both addicted to that game machine...

Other maternal guilt is coming from the fact that he is turning six in 11 days and I have NOT even started planning a birthday party. Which, according to the Toys R Us birthday flyer we got in the mail LAST MONTH, I should have, apparently, started planning in DECEMBER. What kind of mother am I??

Obviously I have to hit the party supply store TONIGHT. And I am pretty sure that the party won't happen until a week or two after his birthday. We could have it on March 4, which is, technically, when he was DUE to arrive. So, that's enough of an excuse, right? RIGHT???

Oy vey...

Law Mommy

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was reading therough this and I was reminded of my eating habits as a child. My breakfast of choice was canned chicken noodle soup by campbell's. I was and still am horrified by cereal of any kind saturated with milk. As a matter of fact, my stomach turns when I sit with someone and they dump milk on their cereal. I don't like eggs. About once a year I can handle an omelette if it's made by someone else. I'm just mentioning these food quirks to let you know that I turned out o.k. and I thnk Gabe will too!

Thursday, March 23, 2006 12:02:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Get a Free Hit Counter