Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Tomorrow will be 2 Weeks

I've been lousy at posting lately, and I apologize. I've been a little insane for the past few days. (Beep...you've reached Lawmommy. She's unavailable to take your call right now because she's lost her mind and is out looking for it. Please leave a message. If you find her mind, please return it to her ASAP. She needs it.)

Tomorrow will be two weeks since our agency called to tell us we are waiting for a travel call.

Two families from our agency adopting from our province have gotten that travel call on the 14th day of waiting. Others have waited 3 weeks, or 4 weeks. One family waited 35 days.

I have no idea when our call will come, or, if it does come, when, considering the holidays, they will ask us to be in DaNang. It's the not knowing that is making me a little bit more insane than usual. Also, Husband's employer is not going to allow him to use any sick time to care for Lana when we bring her home - if we go in January, he will take 6 weeks of unpaid time. That is going to be a rather large hardship on us. The employer has agreed to spread the lost pay out of the rest of the school year (i.e. January to August), so, he will get SOME pay, it's just that the pay he gets for the months of January to August will be significantly reduced. If we are able to travel over the holidays, he would only need to take 3 or 4 weeks of unpaid time, which would be so much better. But, I just don't see it happening. Also, the tickets to travel over the holidays are outrageously expensive, and, since they are in high demand, involve more plane changes, transfers and layovers. On the bright side, we would be able to take the adoption tax credit for this year instead of waiting until next year.

All of this is pure speculation on my part. We will go to Vietnam when our agency tells us to go to Vietnam - there's no real negotiation to be done.

Adding to my stress over trying to pack, trying to decide what hotels to stay at, what to take, what not to take - I have gotten a heinous head/chest cold. I'm coughing up a lung and my voice is almost gone. I had a hearing today in housing court and the court reporter kept saying, "I'm sorry, I cannot hear you, please speak up." Sorry, no can do! My voice is gone. I came home from work today at 3:00 and laid on the couch and watched two episodes of Gilmore Girls and I think I am going to take some cough syrup and go to bed.

Oh, I also this morning sent a nasty email to the Nyquil people because their product, now without the benefit of a decongestent, SUCKS. Oh sure, it will make you SLEEPY, but, since you cannot actually BREATHE, you cannot SLEEP, so, you are just tired and miserable. I doubt that the Nyquil people will actually respond to my email, since it included the phrase, "you are SO NOT the nightime SNIFFLING STUFFY HEAD fever so you can rest medicine ANYMORE" and ended with the words "you suck" and "I cannot believe I spent $5.99 on your useless product." Oh well, it made me feel better to write it.

More later,
LM

3 Comments:

Blogger Jenny said...

You could still get the call this year. It could happen!! and that totally blows about your hubby's work!

And what about christopher and lorelai, married!
And that stupid episode last night.

Wednesday, November 29, 2006 8:11:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh do I hear you on the cold and the nyquil!!! My cold is basically gone now (it took a month!) but every now and then I still have a cough attack and lose my voice momentarily. But I'm sure YOU will get better much faster! (it's so much easier to get well in your own comfy home).

And the waiting? Stinks. That's all there is to it. And the not knowing and the not-being-able-to-plan-anything. It all stinks. I hope you get your call very soon!!

Thursday, November 30, 2006 1:42:00 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Blah! I'm sorry you're not feeling well. I have a nasty cold, too. Last night I took Nyquil with a 12 hour sudafed...passed right out! I would highly recommend it :)

My husband had the same issue with his leave for our 1st adoption, too. He ended up having to go back to work just 2 days after returning home, which was NOT fun. I hope it all works out for you!

Thursday, November 30, 2006 1:46:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Get a Free Hit Counter