Sunday, December 02, 2007

Incongruous

Some time ago, my Girlfriend A~ (aka Vanilla Caribou or Perpetual Student http://vanillacaribou.blogspot.com/) sent a gift to Lana and Gabriel that included a CD called "O Canada." It's a collection of Canadian songs sung by Canadian Children. The cover of the CD features a Royal Canadian Mounted Policeman and a Maple Leaf.

The point I am trying to make is that it is an extremely CANADIAN album. (Which makes sense, since Canada is where A~ lives when she is not running around Northern Ireland writing her thesis and taking pictures for her blog.) The album is more Canadian than The Barenaked Ladies and Bryan Adams put together. It's like a little audio helping of maple syrup and poutaine (poutine?).

Recently, Lana has decided that she LOVES this album. She LOVES it.

(In the interest of full disclosure, I must also say that Lana LOVES the song "Cyclone" by Baby Bash and T-Pain, and also "Bubbly" by Colby Callait (sp?) - so, there really is no cataloguing her musical taste.)

But, at any rate, she is especially fond of two songs from the "O Canada" album, namely, a folk song entitled "Farewell to Nova Scotia" and the Canadian national anthem.

And I just have to say that I find it extremely incongruous, to be driving my newly emigrated Vietnamese-American daughter through a snowy mid-Western day while she happily sings, "Oh Canada, My Home and Native Land" in the backseat of the car...

LM

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I so LOVE that you know what poutaine is. I could use some of it today! I will never forget when my sister's became hooked on hockey and they brought home this huge book with all the national anthems in it and we sat around singing Oh Canada, off key together, who would have thought that one of them would end up marrying a Canadian (and living WAY north) or that I would go to school there. Life is funny sometimes.

Monday, December 03, 2007 3:33:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always thought it funny that my little girl loved Stouffers Swedish meatballs and ate them every day for lunch.
I used to wonder if she was probably the only little girl from her part of the world who ate them on a regular basis.
Then we went to Ikea. Swedish meatballs is their main thing. I expected a sea of blonds but no. There were several Asian people all eating Swedish meatballs.

Tuesday, December 04, 2007 10:17:00 AM  
Blogger Perpetual Procrastinator said...

LMAO....It's a plot really, in which I aim to indoctrinate your children.

That reminds me, I have a set of placemats with all the Prime Ministers on them that I meant to send you. It will aid in my nefarious plan. They will be hockey and curling fans, begging for Timbits and poutine before you know it. Bwahahahaha!

Tuesday, December 04, 2007 10:39:00 AM  
Blogger bluefairy said...

HAHAHAHA!!!!Well to continue the invasion from the north...how about some Canadian Prime Minister action figures or how about some Sharon, Lois and Bram cds(Children's entertainers)....just one question..do you know what a double-double is???
A giggle from the Great White North...

Tuesday, December 04, 2007 12:44:00 PM  
Blogger Perpetual Procrastinator said...

I'd send them my Sir John A. poseable action figure, but he's in my office right now. He came with a table and books, but I had to fashion him a whiskey bottle using the wrapper from a chocolate liqueur.

For anyone who thinks I'm making this up:

http://www.canadianlegends.ca/Home.asp

Tuesday, December 04, 2007 5:24:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Get a Free Hit Counter