Thursday, February 07, 2008

Rat-tastic


Happy Lunar New Year! Welcome to the Year of the Brown Rat (or Earth Rat).

Husband and I were both born in a Rat Year - the year of the Water Rat. I'm not sure if a Rat year is supposed to be lucky for people born in a Rat year or not. Rat is the first symbol on the Chinese Zodiac, so, my understanding is that a Rat Year is supposed to bring new beginnings.

The closest Tet celebration we could find is 2.5 hours away, so, we are attending a Chinese New Year dinner tomorrow night at the Chinese School. And we celebrated Lunar New Year with our Families With Children From China (and other parts of Asia) group on Sunday. Lana wore her Ao Dai and looked beautiful. I will try to post a picture later today.

Gabe was up and down all night last night with bad dreams - it was one of his worst nights in years. I'm not sure what was going on. He couldn't fall asleep, he said he kept thinking a tornado was coming to blow our house away. (I should do a better job at keeping him from hearing the news.) He also said he had a dream he was being eaten by a cobra and he was totally hysterical after that. He is taking amoxicyllin (sp?) for an ear-infection and I am wondering if that is having an effect on his sleep cycle, which is NOT stellar to begin with...

Here's hoping for a better night tonight and a year of Happy New Beginnings.

LM

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Mia's Mommy said...

Happy New Year! I didn't even realize there were different rats, or years of. You've educated me!

Sorry about your son. My son has started a creepy habit of talking in his sleep. Not mumbling but complete dissertations. So strange.

It's hard when they're young to get them to understand they don't need to be as terrified as they feel. Heck, even as an adult some dreams can shake you up for days. Poor guy! I hope it gets better.

Melissa

Thursday, February 07, 2008 9:18:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you can find a Vietnamese church (esp a catholic parish one, where theres many vietnamese families) I know they usually hold a celebration (well that is down here in TX they do)

ps I just found your blog, loving it!

Saturday, February 16, 2008 12:53:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Get a Free Hit Counter