Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Exhaustia

According to UrbanDictionary.com (a favorite pop culture site of mine)

1. Exhaustia - The state of being dramtically exhausted.

-------------------

I believe that Husband and I have achieved a state of Exhaustia. It's not a fun state to exist in.

Lana did sleep last night (she woke once to go to the bathroom, but, that's normal. It's just that she woke up at 5:30 to go to the bathroom, which was on the heels of her brother being up at 5:00 AM. And, according to Husband, Gabe was also up at 2:00, and midnight.)

Things were quiet in our house by 9:30. Husband was asleep. Children were asleep. I was curled up in bed happily reading blogs and the Television Without Pity Veronica Mars Forum (a bad addictive habit, and I know, probably sad and pathetic since the show was cancelled and I just haven't accepted that it's over). I was gearing up to watch an episode of Alias and then fall asleep myself (I had watched one episode of Alias earlier in the evening while I was walking on the treadmill, and there was only one episode left on the disc, and I wanted to watch it so I could send it back to Netflix today. Because it is JUST. THAT. ADDICTIVE. And please no one tell me that the show will start to suck after season 3, because I'm not ready to hear it.)

Anyway, about 10:00, Gabriel came sprinting down the hall and flung himself on my body.

"I had a bad dream" he said. "Will you come sleep with me?"

I wasn't ready to fall asleep. (I know that doesn't make sense, considering I was very tired, but, I need some "wind down" time of reading or DVD watching to be ready to fall asleep, and I wasn't there yet.)

"Why don't you crawl in here in our bed, and I'll go sleep in the front room. Daddy's already asleep, so, just sleep with him."

I did not do this to torture Husband, I swear. I meant for the two of them to just sleep peacefully together, which does happen on occasion.

I went to the front room, watched Alias, read a few minutes of my book (Death by Rodrigo, quite good, actually), and then fell asleep around 11:15 ish.

At 5:00 AM, Gabe is pulling on my hand.

"Mom, I don't want to bother Daddy when he gets up, so, can I sleep in here?"

Huh?? This makes NO SENSE to my sleep addled brain, so, I just pull him in the bed and tell him to go to sleep. Which he kind of does. But, he's squirrely and squirmy and pushing his feet into my leg, and now my brain is awake and thinking of all the things I need to do today.

When Husband gets up at 6:00 I wander into the bathroom to say good morning. And commiserate about the fact that our boy child woke me up at 5:00. And he tells me that our boy child woke HIM up at midnight, 2:00 and 5:00, and that Lana woke him up at 5:30 to pee.

And that, after 10 days of these sleepless night, he is just beyond tired.

Which led me to find a good slang word for beyond tired. And so, you know, Exhaustia.

Why did no one tell me parenthood would be so tiring??

LM

6 Comments:

Blogger BigOrangeDog said...

Oh man. We are in trouble. We already are up at night with old dogs who can't hold it that long... Last night, Palu at 1:30, then Tanner at 5:30. Maybe when the girls come, they can at least synchronize themselves with the dogs! ;-)

Sorry you are so worn out. Hope it gets better soon!

Jen

Tuesday, October 23, 2007 12:41:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel your pain. I was up with my cold and then Zeeb was up at 5:30 to pee and apparently never went back to sleep. Which is so not a good habit for him to start with! Amazing to me that I am still losing sleep and my youngest kid is 4... so much for night wakings being a baby thing!

Tuesday, October 23, 2007 12:57:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't relate to the no sleep thing, YET.... but I can definitely relate to missing Veronica Mars!!!! I LOVE that show! And I just discovered it in Season 2, so I was very, very bummed that it got cancelled. I'm going to check out that support group you mentioned for VM mourners... I was still hoping they would bring the show back... until I saw that Kristen Bell was in a new show... can't have Veronica Mars without Veronica!!!! Thanks for letting me know I'm not the only one older than 25 watching that show!!!

Tuesday, October 23, 2007 1:10:00 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

Can we start the tired parent club?

Cami is teething and likes to wake up from 3:00am to 4:00am and then I can't fall back asleep after that.

I have decided to dress as a tired mom for Halloween.... The outfit will include: bags and dark under eyes, house coat and a bed head.

Tuesday, October 23, 2007 9:28:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow...some times I am very glad that I picked the single route...yet one wonders if you will miss this crazy time...

Thursday, October 25, 2007 3:33:00 PM  
Blogger junglemama said...

So that's what it's called. ;)

Hope you catch up on some sleep soon.

Wednesday, October 31, 2007 2:24:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Get a Free Hit Counter