Thursday, November 01, 2007

Matt was Right

Way back at the end of May, when I first began my McDreamy Motivation Experiment, I had an email conversation with my friend Matt from college.

Despite my protests at the time that I didn't really expect to lose any weight, Matt was on to me and my true goals. In that I can generally expect blunt candor from him, I wasn't all that surprised when he emailed and said, essentially (I'm paraphrasing), "You aren't going to lose weight by exercise alone, and if you want to lose weight, I'll tell you what I did - I'm willing to share my food strategies." (Matt having moved to San Francisco and gone from being "guy next door cute" to "California Boy Hot" and dropping some weight in the process - he had some KNOWLEDGE of the subject of weight loss.)

Anyway, at the time, I didn't want to listen to what he had to say. Namely, I wanted to believe that I could lose weight via exercise alone, and I was going to do just that.

Except that it TOTALLY didn't work.

And after months of treadmill walking (and hours of Grey's Anatomy, House, Dexter, and Alias) and actually GAINING 5 pounds, I went to the doctor and it turned out, as I believe I blogged about some weeks ago, that my thyroid had further crapped out.

Anyway, back on the thyroid medication, back on the treadmill...I went back and re-read Matt's food strategies for weight loss....and I have to admit - Matt must have a stronger desire to be fit than I do, because I could not follow them. (I am sure they are effective - in fact, I know they were for him. I also know that if I tried to follow them...after two weeks I would feel so deprived that I would be hiding in a closet with an entire 3-layer-cake and a double mocha caramel full-fat latte and that would accomplish NOTHING.)

So, I am back on the Weight Watchers.

And, here's the amazing thing. 45 minutes of exercise 5 times a week plus following the Weight Watchers plan...actually seems to be a recipe for dropping some weight.

I've been doing this for 2.5 weeks now. My pants fit better and the numbers on the scale have begun a slow slide in the downward direction. I want to be able to keep this up. And the good thing is that I've found a meeting that is near my office on a lunch hour, and my Girlfriend K~ is doing this with me. So, I have no excuses not to keep at this. But, I need accountability. Hence, my blogging about it.

And also I have to tell the whole Internet, yes, Matt was right.

LM

3 Comments:

Blogger niobe said...

Wildly curious. So, what were Matt's food strategies? You can email them to me, if you don't want to clutter up your comment section.

Thursday, November 01, 2007 2:12:00 PM  
Blogger Danielle said...

Welcome back to WW. I just went and had my 3 point McDonald's ice cream cone. I have lots of new snacks that are low points if you can to know them. I need snacks!!

Friday, November 02, 2007 8:51:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thyroid problems are no fun! Wishing you lots of luck on your new strategy!

Saturday, November 03, 2007 8:52:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Get a Free Hit Counter