Monday, February 18, 2008

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang*

I like a good hitman story. I do. Seriously.

What? No one is with me on this?

I guess it's just a weird personal kink.

(Someone please remind me to check my blog stats tomorrow, as I feel certain I will get any number of hits on the phrase "weird personal kink". Perhaps it will beat my current most popular search term of mommy got boobs - which brings me about 40 hits a day. Evidently, there are a lot of folks out there with their own personal kinks involving mommies and boobs.)

Anyhoo, as I was saying, I like a good a hitman story. (Incidentally, I also enjoy a good art heist or jewel thief story, too. Nothing like a little art heist, carried out with a bit of panache and style, to make me root for the bad guy.) (I have a black, black little heart, sometimes.)

My favorite hitman stories are from the black, black heart of hard-boiled noir mystery writer, Lawrence Block. You can read about Hit Man, Hit List and Hit Parade here at Lawrence Block's site. He is writing some of the best hard-boiled mystery fiction on the market, and he's been doing it a long time, so, he's the kind of author who can keep a bibliophile busy for months at a time, he is that prolific.

I particularly love it when I can find some black comedy to go with my hit man story, which is why my favorite movie, pretty much, in life, is John Cusack's Grosse Pointe Blank. But, good comedy mixed with murder-for-hire is hard to come by, which is why you can imagine my delight, when, at the library this morning, I stumbled upon a book called, Agnes and the Hit Man. It's co-written by Jennifer Crusie and Bob Mayer, and I'm pretty excited about. I haven't even cracked the cover, but, it promises murder, mayhem and hilarity in one pretty package.

I'll let you know if it lives up to all the high high hopes I have carved out of my black little heart for it.

LM

*Title stolen from the 2005 movie (brilliant film) of the same name, which is, incidentally, NOT about a hitman, but you would sure think so, from the title alone, wouldn't you?

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang.... I LOVE that film! I laughed so hard when Robert Downey JR's character has the bad guy on his knees and is playing Russian roulette. Without saying what happened, I laughed my a*s off!

Monday, February 18, 2008 9:26:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thought you'd like to know Lawrence Block will be coming out with another Hit Man book this summer. HIT AND RUN will be coming out on June 24th!

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 9:04:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just finished my first Jennifer Cruise book- The Bet which was a fun, light read, so I hope this book works for you (let me know!)
Heather R

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 12:18:00 PM  
Blogger mam said...

We have really similar taste...LOVED Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, and this book is going on my Amazon list immediately. Thanks for the recommendation, from my black little heart to yours.

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 2:20:00 PM  
Blogger Elowyn said...

Ooh! ooh! Grosse Pointe Blank! Definitely on my top 10 list. "I killed the president of Paraguay with a fork. How've you been?" Bwa ha ha ha ha.

Am adding Lawrence Block and this other book to my list.

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 5:16:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Definitely loved "Kiss, Kiss, Bang, Bang". I just loaned my book to a friend to take on vacation with her.

Another awesome read is the The Osgoode Trilogy. Each novel is an incredible crime, mystery and thriller. It's action packed so be ready.

Thanks or the post.

Happy Reading!

Thursday, April 17, 2008 12:36:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Get a Free Hit Counter