Friday, February 15, 2008

What have I done to upset the universe?

I think I have angered the universe in some way and I'm not really sure what, but, I'd like to shake the last few weeks of bad luck.

I managed to go 35 years without being involved in a single car accident. Not one. Not one accident in 35 years of riding in or driving cars. And that includes riding in cars in Japan and Vietnam, where at times I was sure we would crash.

And yet, I have been in TWO car accidents in the past THREE WEEKS. Two in three weeks. Those are lousy odds. (Although better than my friend R~, who confessed to me that she had once been in two accidents in ONE DAY.)

Anyway, Tuesday morning was icy and snowy and awful, and as I was rounding the curve in the road that leads out of my subdivision, I hit a patch of ice and went careening into my neighbor Kathy, who was coming into the sub.

It was incredibly lousy timing. Our subdivision is not busy. 99% of the time, if I had hit that patch of ice, I would have just slid across the road and I would have been a little freaked out but, no harm done. But, as (bad) luck would have it, my neighbor was driving into the neighborhood at that exact moment and I slammed my little Pontiac into the back of her SUV, and there was a sickening crash-crunch, and it was a mess.

Nobody was hurt, but, my car had to be towed away. (And we had to wait 3 hours for a tow truck since it was so snowy and icy and there were so many accidents that any accident that wasn't on the highway was getting "secondary" attention. And we waited an hour for the Township Police to arrive to make a report. And it was 12 degrees out. It sucked.)

And then there were no rental cars available, and I thought I was going to strangle someone at the rental car place because they called THREE times to say that we were getting a car, and then called back to say that we would have to wait until the next day because they didn't have any cars. We did finally get an enormous Dodge something-or-other.

My back hurts and my hip hurts and I have to think that two accidents in three weeks time has got to be bad news for my skeletal system!

But, I must take myself off to court now, and hope that I manage to not be involved in any mishaps along the way. I'm walking, to be on the safe side.

LM

Labels:

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, that stinks. I'm sorry to hear about it. Hope the universe doesn't stay angry long. :)

Friday, February 15, 2008 11:43:00 AM  
Blogger KG said...

That's how it goes - you go for years and years without any accidents, and then suddenly there's a little flurry of insurance activity. I'm sure Geico/Nationwide/Dewey Cheatem & Howe Insurance firm appreciates your business!

*sigh* Good times.

Friday, February 15, 2008 12:29:00 PM  
Blogger Kelly said...

Hope your luck turns soon! Sorry about the mishaps.

Friday, February 15, 2008 1:26:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG!!! I am so glad that no one was hurt!

Friday, February 15, 2008 7:47:00 PM  
Blogger LaLa said...

Oh...hope you are feeling better soon. Wrecks stink....I had my fair share in high school LOL

Friday, February 15, 2008 8:35:00 PM  
Blogger Nicole - Raising Animals said...

OH MAN!
I always find that after and accident, I have less confidence in my ability and end up almost getting in more accidents.
I hope your luck turns soon!!

Sunday, February 17, 2008 2:13:00 PM  
Blogger Mia's Mommy said...

Oh wow. I haven't had two in one day but I did have three in one week month. The first one I hit the neighbor's car across the street. She parked on the street behind me. There was enough of a hill in our driveway that I couldn't see her little car and I backed into it full force. The second that time it was raining really hard and on one of the main four lane highways here and a postman stopped at a mailbox on the side of the road, the guy in front of me swerved to miss him, I hydroplaned and hit the mailman. The govt officials got there before the cops did. It was a couple months after 9/11. I still crack up that they took photos of my mini-van with the soccer balls and my Jesus decal along with numerous photos and information about me and my husband who wasn't even there. Then later in the week I was pulling through the Burger King drive through and a 90 year old man came flying in the wrong direction and hit me head on. His wife, near 90, got out and started cussing me and telling me that I "musta been flyin'". I was pulling off from the drive-through window! Anyway, it was really sad because he got so worked up about it that he died there in the parking lot. So... yeah you've had some crappy luck lately, but I'm glad you're not too bad off!

Monday, February 18, 2008 7:26:00 PM  
Blogger Mia's Mommy said...

haha! Let me clarify... three wrecks in one month the last two in the same week.

Monday, February 18, 2008 7:27:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Get a Free Hit Counter