Thursday, October 30, 2008

What's Your Favorite Halloween Song?

I'm a little bored with my music right now. Kind of in a rut, listening to the same things over and over. (More so than usual, I mean.) (I tend to do that, listen to things over and over and over. This drives both my husband and my secretary insane.)

Lately, it's been a lot of an album from the mid-90s that I forgot about, and then remembered recently, and it's been on my Zune pretty much non-stop for a week. (The Refreshments album Fizzy Fuzzy Big & Buzzy.) Excellent tunes, but, having heard them on repeat for several days now, it's time to move on.

There's a new Nickelback song, Gotta Be Somebody which I like a lot. (Of course, Chad Kroeger could sing nursery rhymes in his shower and release it on CD and I would pay good money for it. What is it about that guy's voice that makes me all melty?)

I also like the new(ish) Pat Green single, Let Me.

(Neither of these videos appear to have been posted by the artists or their labels, nor were they posted by me. I'm just linking and expressing my undying love and devotion.) (To the artists, not the random people who posted the videos.)

But, what are YOU listening to?

And also, just for fun, what's your favorite song that reminds you of Halloween?

My favorite is a song by Richard Shindell called Are You Happy Now?, but, I cannot find a good version of it on Youtube, so, you'll just to take my word for it that it is the best Halloween break-up song ever. (I will post the lyrics at the bottom.) However, here's a link to AC DC's Hell's Bells, because it sounds all ominous and Halloween-y.

Now, give me yours.

LM

PS

Lyrics to Richard Shindell's, Are You Happy Now?

You took the toaster when you went
You never paid your half the rent
You took the spices from the rack
But you don’t have to put them back
Cause in your haste on Halloween
You left your camera on the bed
Where we played roles in black and white
You left a role of black and white
I set the timer and thought of you
And put the lense up to my head
I took a photograph for you
What comes out gray is really red

Are you happy now?

I smashed your pumpkin on the floor
The candle flickered at my feet
As goblins flew across the room
The children peered into the room
A cowboy shivered on the porch
As Cinderella checked her watch
A hobo waited in the street
An angel whispered, trick-or-treat
But what was I supposed to do
But to sit there in the dark?
I was amazed to think that you
Could take the candy with you too

Are you happy now?

I’ve sat all night and now it’s dawn
And I cannot believe my eyes
There’s garbage strewn across the lawn
Where we once stared up at the sky
And streams of paper fill the tree
That hovered over you and me
Shaving cream covers the car
That we picked up in Baltimore
Though I know it’s hard to tell
I hope that what’s-his-name treats you well
I still maintain that he’s a bum
But it’s your money – have some fun

And are you happy now?

You always asked why I had not
Written you a verse or two
Since that’s the one thing I regret
I dedicate this one to you

Are you happy now?
Are you?

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The ONLY one I can even think of is "Monster Mash" and, of course, I have no idea who sings it, wrote it, or anything else. I was shocked I tell you, SHOCKED when you left that comment on my blog saying you had never heard that song I posted, because you've heard everything and know who sings it all, and I am a total music nerd. And not even in the good, "Oh, yes, that is Vivaldi's blah blah blah, but I real prefer Rachmoninov (which I'm sure I just misspelled) blah blah blah" nerd way.

Thursday, October 30, 2008 9:21:00 PM  
Blogger KG said...

I'm with Elaine - the only thing I can think of is the "Monster Mash," too. Or that theme song from the Adams Family.

Thursday, October 30, 2008 9:32:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

THRILLER! I can't hear the song without picturing the zombies dancing in the video, and then Michael Jackson's bright green monster eyes when Vincent Price laughs ominously at the end!

The song that I was really liking lately is "I'm Yours" by Jason Mraz, but our local Top 40 radio station has ruined it by playing it five times an hour.

Thursday, October 30, 2008 10:51:00 PM  
Blogger maxhelcal said...

Oh yes!!!!!!!! Halloween IS my FAVORITE holiday!

Here's a few songs you might enjoy listening to while giving out treats. (I have a tape with a collage of Halloweenish songs on it and play it really loud all night. I've got to get my son to make it into a CD)

Here's a few off the top of my head:

The Monster Mash & Thiller (as mentioned)

The Ghost Buster's Theme

Theme song from the Twilight Zone

Purple People Eater

Super Freak

Bad Moon Rising

and my all time favorite,

The Time Warp from the Rocky Horror Picture Show. (I was one of those crazy teenagers who went to the shows and did the dance up in front of the theater) Here's a link to the song on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdu7xoHU9DA

oh, the memories....

Friday, October 31, 2008 10:56:00 AM  
Blogger Grace said...

Favorite, hands down is "Spooky Little Girl Like You", the Zombies.

Actually, I could listen to that anytime.

Friday, October 31, 2008 3:56:00 PM  
Blogger Grace said...

Here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8l4c2yOM4s

I mean, ignore the video, just listen to the song :)

Friday, October 31, 2008 3:57:00 PM  
Blogger Melissia said...

Totally unrelated to Halloween, my son just exposed me to Iron and Wine. Listen to this music on youtube. It is haunting and beautiful.

Saturday, November 01, 2008 12:52:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Get a Free Hit Counter