Thursday, November 27, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving

It's Thanksgiving morning, and so of course I am sitting on the couch watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade.

One of the posts that blogger destroyed last week was about the parade, and my grandpa.

There is a big Thanksgiving Day Parade in Detroit, and, several times when I was growing up, my mom and step-dad took my siblings and I to watch the parade in person.

I recall those mornings as being cold and crowded, although, as a child I was much less wary of large crowds than I am today. (I hate being in large crowds. It's not fear so much as I really just hate being crowded and jostled. I cannot describe the feeling precisely - it makes me extremely tense.)

As we would leave to go to the Parade, my grandpa would shake his head and say, "You know, it's a lot more comfortable to watch the parade from the LaZBoy with a cup of coffee."

And on the Thanksgiving mornings that my parents did not take us downtown, I would sit in the family room with my grandpa, with a cup of cocoa, and we would watch coverage of both Parades - New York and Detroit.

I have very fond memories of those mornings, and it doesn't really feel like Thanksgiving to me, those times when I don't watch the Parade.

My grandpa died on the Sunday after Thanksgiving seven years ago. I did not watch the Parade with him that last Thanksgiving, which I regret to this day. But, since he's been gone, I watch the Parade, and I imagine that grandpa is sitting in his LaZBoy, with his coffee, watching it with me. It's one of the things that I do at the Holidays that reminds me of my childhood.

(As much as I would like my children to watch the Parade with me, they are 100% disinterested. Evidently, they don't love a parade.)

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!

LM

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We only went to the parade in Detroit once but I have such vivid memories of it. I watch every year too (well not the Detroit parade anymore since it isn't televised here :() and this year Addy and Noah were totally into it (can't say the same for the big kids) so it was really special. I missed the parade last year - only year ever - and it was super-depressing for me. Sounds like such special memories with your Grandpa. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!

Thursday, November 27, 2008 6:50:00 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Great memories. Hope today was a great one. Happy Thanksgiving!

Thursday, November 27, 2008 9:17:00 PM  
Blogger Grace said...

My nieces and nephews only like a parade when there is candy being thrown at them!

Friday, November 28, 2008 7:51:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the Macy's parade. Love all parades really but am a huge Macy's parade fan and *have* to watch it every year. But, like your family, I'm the only one glued to the tv. Weird to me that the kids aren't as excited about it as I am... kids these days! :-)

Saturday, November 29, 2008 5:44:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the parade, too. It doesn't feel like Thanksgiving if I don't get to watch it. Since I'm usually managing children and making food these days, I never get to watch it any more. What a sweet memory of your grandfather. I'm glad you got to watch the parade and remember him.

Sunday, November 30, 2008 8:47:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Get a Free Hit Counter