Thursday, December 18, 2008

Here We Go A Wassailing

I think that I have made my love of the beach (and accompanying rum drinks) fairly obvious to anyone who reads this blog. (Or who, you know, knows me in real life.)

I also love (most) Christmas music. (Except for The Christmas Shoes song. Oh sweet Lord, I HATE that song with the fire of a thousand suns.)

So, is it really a surprise to anyone that I love this Boney M Christmas song, circa 1978?

Boney M's Oh My Lord

It's like a Caribbean Christmas. It makes me completely and totally and irrationally happy every time I hear it.

Go ahead, you can mock me if you must.

Along (much) more traditional lines, my favorite Christmas hymn is "Oh Holy Night" - but, I am extremely particular about it. It must be song by a man (I love female singers, I do. However, I do not want to hear this song sung by a soprano or an alto. It needs to be sung by a tenor or a baritone.) I am sure there are lots of sopranos and altos who do a beautiful job with this hymn. However, I don't want to hear it. It's just a thing with me. (I do think it is a beautiful performed by someone with a bass voice, but I cannot listen to it without bawling like a baby - my grandfather was a bass, and he did the loveliest version of this song I have ever heard. He sang it every Christmas Eve and I cannot listen to someone who sounds remotely like him without breaking into a million pieces.)

Here is Josh Groban (arguable somewhere between a tenor and a baritone) singing it.

Josh Groban, Oh Holy Night

So, what is YOUR favorite music to listen to this time of year?

LM

*As always, I'm just posting links to these videos, I had nothing to do with making them, they are not mine

9 Comments:

Blogger thecurryseven said...

And I thought I was the only one who couldn't stand the Christmas Shoes song! Thankfully, I have yet to be subjected to it this year...8 days and counting!

Thursday, December 18, 2008 3:40:00 PM  
Blogger Grace said...

Carol of the bells, singing only. No instruments. And that shoes song? Awful.

Thursday, December 18, 2008 4:23:00 PM  
Blogger Terynn said...

Oh Holy Night, sung by Johnny Mathis is my personal fave. :~)

Thursday, December 18, 2008 7:29:00 PM  
Blogger Elowyn said...

The Christmas Shoes song is evil. Seriously.

My sappy/odd favorite is Same Old Lang Syne by Dan Fogelberg (video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIGiX-vc6M8 No clue about the Portuguese? subtitles.

Thursday, December 18, 2008 10:10:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that Oh my lord song too. (and always turn off the Christmas shoes - I hate songs that try SO. HARD. to pull at my heartstrings). My favorite? The Little Drummer Boy. I especially like the Jars of Clay version.

Friday, December 19, 2008 9:37:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just posted about the Halleuiah Chorus on my blog. I'm a total Christmas music fiend. I was thinking of Josh Groban's O Holy Night before I started reading the part you had about it. I agree about a man singing it. That song is hands down my favorite Christmas song, almost my favorite period.
Oh, and, "if mamma sees Jesus tonight..." For the most part,I hate songs that have kids singing in them for some kind of dramatic effect.

Friday, December 19, 2008 12:49:00 PM  
Blogger StorkWatcher said...

This year, Josh Groban's O Holy Night and Celine Dion's Ave Maria are giving me chills and bringing tears to my eyes and swells to my heart. Feels like a good flu!

Friday, December 19, 2008 4:15:00 PM  
Blogger jen @ negative lane said...

That Boney M song is awesome. I haven't heard it before.

You do own Jimmy Buffett's Christmas Island CD, right? It's the obvious choice for the combo Christmas/beach music.

Monday, December 22, 2008 9:29:00 PM  
Blogger maxhelcal said...

I love all kinds of Christmas music! I have many, many CDs. One of my favs is Patti La Belle "This Christmas". I also love Mariah Carey's version of "Jesus Oh What a Wonderful Child".

Tuesday, December 23, 2008 11:44:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Get a Free Hit Counter