Monday, June 08, 2009

Am I The Only One?

Sorry for this post, which is short and completely without meat.

I never watched Jon and Kate Plus 8 until last month.

The only reason I watched an episode or two last month was because I was chained to my bed by surgery and a weird allergic reaction that required me to take a lot of drugs that made me really, really sleepy.

I don't get the attraction of the show. The idea of eight children makes me want to go run and hide in a closet with a bottle of Valium and a fifth of rum.

And yet I find myself reading People Magazine articles about them and watching an occaional episode.

Am I the only one who thinks that maybe, just maybe, this "marital discord" is really just a marketing stunt for a show that's maybe not really a "reality" show anymore?

Or is that just the cynical divorce attorney in me talking?

LM

PS - on my second round of steroids since the rash from the allergic reaction began to re-appear slightly after I finished the first round. Hoping this second round knocks it out. The steroids are making me jumpy and bloaty and the dreams...oh my word...the dreams...Last night I dreamt that a whole bunch of people were getting coffee in Lana's bedroom at 4:30 in the morning and I was all, "Hey! You idiots! My daughter's bedroom is NOT a convenience store!"

Except that suddenly then IT WAS a convenience store. And Francis Capra (the actor who played Weevil Navarro on Veronica Mars) was there, and he wanted coffee and I YELLED at him. (So you have to know it was a dream. Because if Francis Capra showed up at my house at 4:30 AM wanting coffee...I probably would give him some...)

4 Comments:

Anonymous Elaine said...

I have never watched the show, but I have also wondered if all of this current stuff is just trumped up, or at least blown out of proportion, for ratings. Whether it is or not, however, I just can't imagine allowing my life to be broadcast for the whole world to see. I mean, I'm sure it helped with the financial strain of having that many kids, but still. I just can't imagine.
Here's hoping this round of steriods takes care of things. I shall be monitoring Dillards for 75% off swimsuits and a lunch opportunity!

Monday, June 08, 2009 8:05:00 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

I never watched the show, and still haven't even though my people is domonated by them (drives me nuts give me fat celebs and dead people) but anyway. When we first got home we WERE ALWAYS ASKED "do you watch JK8" cause you have twins that are asian?!?

God, i think it is horrific. stupid and at least Tori and Dean are just dumbasses and funny!

Monday, June 08, 2009 10:12:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to watch it occasionally, but it started to bug me how on EVERY episode they got to go someplace amazing and expensive where no normal family would ever go. (Behind the scenes at the zoo, to a pricey private resort in Hawaii, etc etc) It just felt like the parents traded their private family life for all these fabulous prizes. And now that it's apparently taking a huge toll on their marriage? I refuse to watch because I don't want to help the show in the ratings. They need to wake up and walk away from the cameras.

Tuesday, June 09, 2009 12:50:00 PM  
Blogger mam said...

Sweetie, I think you're kidding yourself if you think coffee's all you'd offer him, bloating and all.

Tuesday, June 09, 2009 2:13:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Get a Free Hit Counter